Sunday, 2 August 2009

Flora and fauna, and a strange looking crow!!


Had a wonderful selection of bees and butterflies this afternoon, not sure what the proper name is for this red bottomed bee, but it was huge!!! And, it seemed to enjoy my sweet peas!!!


My first peacock flutter!!! If it wasnt for this forum, i would probably not have a clue about these creatures! Such a pretty butterfly x
The flutters seem to like my ground feeding table!!


I think this is a comma! Can someone correct me if im wrong please!! it was on my garden shed for ages!! x




I know this is a 'cabbage white', had lots of these today! My next door neighbour but one, has a huge buddleia, and it has been covered in 'red admirals' today! Pete told me what they were, he surprises me with his knowledge of wildlife sometimes! He pretends not to be interested!!!





A few pics of my first Hollyhock flowers! So pretty! x

7 comments:

  1. I think the proper name is a Red-Tailed Bumble bee, Karen. I also think the white is a Small White rather than the large. I have a photo with both on my Random Stuff blog if you want to compare.

    Yes it's a Comma.

    And I think the Peacock is a gorgeous butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Steve, will have a look at your blog now x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peacocks are beautiful. I bet yor garden smells wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You are lucky Karen, I have never seen a Comma in my garden despite having buddleia, I usually see Peacocks on it but not this year and I love your Hollyhocks, absolutely gorgeous. I haven't grown any for a few years, they used to get rust disease but I do love them so will try again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great shots Karen and how lucky to have a comma,not that many butterflies in my garden just white ones.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. grear photos karen, don't know much about butterflies, except that some have the most wonderful colouring, which you have captured in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou all so much for your comments!!! Shysongbird, i have had rust on my hollyhocks too, i have been taking the leaves off regularly.Just couldnt bring myself to cut it down, as its my first one, and i wanted to see it flower!!!!x

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I appreciate your comments. Thanks karen x

My goldie!

My goldie!

American robin, New Jersey 23rd march 09

American robin, New Jersey 23rd march 09
Very different!

cheeky jackdaw!

cheeky jackdaw!
They hang on to everything!

pied wagtail

pied wagtail

Starling!

Starling!
very acrobatic!