Welcome to my blog. I'm Karen from Worcestershire and i would like to share with you the birds and wildlife that visit my little garden......
Monday, 8 March 2010
Need advice on my buddleia!!
I have cut alot off my Buddleia today(it was about 7 foot tall!!! I have been told to cut it down to about a foot! Is it ok to cut the really thick branches down to that height??? Ive tried to show it in the pics!! Thanks guys x
I don't think it really matters, Buddleias are quite tough and can take quite a lot of punishment. Many years ago, before I became enlightened with regards to the needs of wildlife, I chopped down my Buddleia to about a foot and then dug it up to make room for another plant, I was going to discard the Buddleia until my OH told me to replant in other part of the garden to save it. I replanted it and it is now well over 7ft.
Hi Karen, In my experience the harder you cut them back the better they respond. I'm afraid I'm guilty of laziness in that department and, as ours is very old and we live on a hill which can be very windy, the whole thing collapsed a couple of years ago! I was convinced it was finished but it came back better than it had been in years.
Hi again Karen :) I've just realised I somehow missed your previous post :( but I have enjoyed it. All the photos were lovely, it was great to see your Wagtail and I thought the Jackdaw photo was really excellent! He seemed to be looking straight at you.
Thankyou both for your advice!!From what you have both said, they seem pretty invinsible!!!! I will tackle it head on tomorrow!!!! Thanks for your comments on my birdies Shysongbird, i really like the jackdaws, i think theyre a very 'handsome' bird!!! x
I don't think it really matters, Buddleias are quite tough and can take quite a lot of punishment. Many years ago, before I became enlightened with regards to the needs of wildlife, I chopped down my Buddleia to about a foot and then dug it up to make room for another plant, I was going to discard the Buddleia until my OH told me to replant in other part of the garden to save it. I replanted it and it is now well over 7ft.
ReplyDeleteHi Karen, In my experience the harder you cut them back the better they respond. I'm afraid I'm guilty of laziness in that department and, as ours is very old and we live on a hill which can be very windy, the whole thing collapsed a couple of years ago! I was convinced it was finished but it came back better than it had been in years.
ReplyDeleteHi again Karen :) I've just realised I somehow missed your previous post :( but I have enjoyed it. All the photos were lovely, it was great to see your Wagtail and I thought the Jackdaw photo was really excellent! He seemed to be looking straight at you.
ReplyDeleteThankyou both for your advice!!From what you have both said, they seem pretty invinsible!!!! I will tackle it head on tomorrow!!!! Thanks for your comments on my birdies Shysongbird, i really like the jackdaws, i think theyre a very 'handsome' bird!!! x
ReplyDelete